Sep 5, 2012

happily combining households


“"And I haven'’t put anything inside it. I talk about it, but I don’'t take the step. Not a chair, not a table, beyond what I needed for Steve. I guess I have to fix that.”"
He’'d been waiting for that. Waiting for that step. "I’ve got a house full of stuff here. It'’s a good start for picking and choosing.”"
She walked to him, linked her arms around his neck. "“I pick you. I pick the guy who’'ll slice tomatoes with me at seven in the morning because I’'m a lunatic. The guy who not only promises to help me, but does. The one who makes me understand I’'m the first Hardy woman in three generations lucky enough to be in love with a man who sees me. Let’'s pick something, and take it across the road. We'’ll put it inside the house so it’'s not hers, it’'s not mine. So it’'s ours.”"
"“I vote for the bed.”"
She grinned. “"Sold."”


Tribute



___________________

 

 

Joining forces may seem easy compared to merging all your stuff under one roof. 

These pointers can help you keep the peace

 

 

 

If you are planning to merge two households, you may need to address everything from duplicate items and treasured family heirlooms to furnishings of questionable taste (and plenty of clutter). Moving in together, while exciting, can also potentially be the cause of some heated arguments and hurt feelings if tastes and housekeeping styles clash. Be proactive and pave the way for a smooth transition with these helpful tips.  


HOUZZ


___________


It was ridiculous, of course, for two people who were preparing for a party to leave the work to break down a bed, to haul frame, headboard, footboard, mattress, box spring, bedding downstairs, out to the truck, drive it across the road with a dog in tow. Then reverse the procedure.
But Cilla found it not only symbolic, she found it therapeutic.
Still, Ford’s suggestion that they try it out in its new place was going too far.
Tonight, she told him. Definitely.
Their room now, she thought, giving the pillows an extra fluff. Their room, their bed, their house. Their life.
Yes, she’'d put pictures of Janet in the house, as she'’d said in the dream. But there would be other pictures. Pictures of her and Ford, of friends and family. She'’d ask her father if he had any of his parents, his grandparents she could copy. She’'d repair and refinish the old rocker she'd found in the attic, and she'’d buy cheerful, happy dishes, and put Ford’'s wonderful roomy couch in their living room.
She'’d remember what had been, and build toward what could be. Really, had'n’t that always been the purpose? And she’'d keep looking for that truth.


Tribute