Jul 30, 2014

A fry-up DOES cure a hangover







Some swear by hair of the dog, others by a strong black coffee. 

But the best way to cure a hangover is to tuck into a fried breakfast, a leading researcher has claimed.  




_______________


Spence made his bleary-eyed way downstairs. He and the gray dog exchanged glances of sympathy.
Yuri had been generous with the vodka the night before, to guests and pets. At the moment, Spence felt as though a chain gang were chipping rock in his head. Operating on automatic, he found the kitchen, following the scents of baking, and blissfully, coffee.
Nadia took one look, laughed broadly and gestured to the table. "Sit." She poured a cup of coffee, strong and black. "Drink. I fix you breakfast."
Like a dying man, Spence clutched the cup in both hands. "Thanks. I don't want to put you out."
Nadia merely waved a hand as she reached for a cast-iron skillet. "I know a man with a hangover. Yuri poured you too much vodka."
"No. I took care of that all on my own." He opened the aspirin bottle she set on the table. "Bless you, Mrs. Stanislaski."
"Nadia. You call me Nadia when you get drunk in my house."
"I don't remember feeling like this since college." So saying he downed three aspirins. "I can't imagine why I thought it was fun at the time." He managed a weak smile. "Something smells wonderful."
"You will like my pies." She pushed fat sausages around in the skillet. "You met Alex last night."
"Yes." Spence didn't object when she filled his cup a second time. "That was cause enough for one more drink. You have a beautiful family, Nadia."
"They make me proud." She laughed as the sausage sizzled. "They make me worry. You know, you have daughter."
"Yes." He smiled at her, picturing what Natasha would look like in a quarter of a century.
"Natasha is the only one who moves far away. I worry most for her."
"She's very strong."
Nadia only nodded as she added eggs to the pan. "Are you patient, Spence?"
"I think so."
Nadia glanced over her shoulder. "Don't be too patient."
"Funny. Natasha once told me the same thing."
Pleased, Nadia popped bread into the toaster. "Smart girl."


The kitchen door swung open. Alex, dark, rumpled and heavy-eyed, grinned. "I smelled breakfast."



Taming Natasha